Cars began leaving the Magnolia Beach area as the weather conditions became uncertain and clouds started rolling in Sunday evening. (Photo by Bill Harvey)

There’s not much beach left at Indian Point due to the storm surge Hurricane Nicholas brought in its wake Monday.

“We’ve lost a lot of beach. I’m not sure how much but quite a bit,” said Calhoun County Precinct 1 Commissioner David Hall Tuesday while conducting a damage survey of the precinct Tuesday. “It was hammered pretty hard.”

In addition, a 50-yard portion of Ocean Drive was lost to the storm, said Hall.

As of Tuesday, AEP Texas reported that 454 customers in Calhoun County were still without power – 412 in Port Lavaca, 35 in Point Comfort and seven in Seadrift – along with 79 in the Austwell area.

Power was expected to be restored by Tuesday evening.

As a tropical storm, Nicholas was headed to Matagorda Bay before an eastward shift took it eastward toward the town of Matagorda. Just before landfall, Nicholas reached hurricane status as a weak Category 1 storm.

In Calhoun County, about six inches of rain was received throughout the county, said National Weather Service-Corpus Christ Lead Meteorologist Matt Ziebell. He noted that the peak wind gust was 64 mph at 6:43 in the evening in Port O’Connor.

Calhoun County Commissioner, Precinct 4, Gary Reese said they had quite a bit of rain but it has all run off. There were some bent signs, and trees in the road, he said,

“Port O’Connor had it worst than anybody in the county,” said Reese, who said gust had gotten up to 90 mph during the storm. “It moved further east and we dodged a bullet.”

“We did pretty well in most parts of the county,” said Calhoun County Judge Richard Meyer, noting he expected the wave action would have an impact on Magnolia Beach and other areas.

Port Lavaca interim City Manager Jody Weaver said she had not seen any evidence of damage other than some branches down.

“We got guys out taking down boards and putting things back. There haven’t been any significant issues,” she said.

Point Comfort came out well but an assessment of the area is ongoing, said City Administrator Robby Silva.

“We had some fairly high winds and some customers without power but that’s about it so far,” he said.

Over in Seadrift, flooding was not the issue it usually is as the water didn’t rise, said Seadrift Mayor Elmer DeForest.

“The storm blew the water out of the bay,” he said.